05 September 2014

The biggest sigh of relief, the most heartfelt 'Finally'

From FIBA Facebook page.
The comments from international fans are making me prouder than ever.

It's been a win in the world basketball stage 40 years in the making. Being a witness to the last ten years of this struggle, I am a heap of emotions right now. While watching the game last night, my father actually offered me a glass of water to calm me. I was so agitated!

I don't think I can say better what many others have said already about this victory from Gilas Pilipinas. I'm just so proud of Jimmy Alapag, and indeed, he made his swan song count. My heart is in pieces knowing that this is his last time wearing the national uniform, but he is willingly giving up his slot to allow the young guns shine brighter for the country's pride.

The Filipinos are obviously the underdogs when it comes to basketball. It's a sport that the nation manically loves but doesn't seem eager to love us back. But more than displaying #puso in the heartbreaking, almost-but-not-quite games for the past week against higher seeded, powerhouse teams, it's the doors to the international stage that this stint has opened up for the future generations of Filipino hoopers.

The world got to see that the Philippine team is made of tougher stuff–Tenorio, Chan, De Castro, David, De Ocampo, Norwood, Lee, Aguilar, Pingris, and the other main man of the game last night, Fajardo–and that it can (and did!) take the World Cup by surprise. Given more experience, who knows where these underdogs will be in the years to come? 

From FIBA.com
After the win against Senegal, Pingris rode on Fajardo’s back. We should all get used to that scene because for the near future, Philippine basketball will also be riding on his broad back. We’re going wherever the bisdak wants us to go. (x)

With heads held high, our basketball heroes are moving forward. As Jimmy leaves Gilas, the rest of the team, and its future incarnations–will undoubtedly continue the good fight.

---
Aside from all-caps FEELS, I just need to put here the face that fanned the flame in my fangirl heart for the past ten years. Haha!