29 September 2016

Weddings and Wonder

Hashtag Destination Weddings: Bicol, Subic, and Batangas

Gabriel and I attended another wedding last Saturday, our third invitation for the year. And they aren't just typical weddings in the city, but destination weddings that needed whole weekends to attend. I have to say, they are a perfect excuse for weekend out-of-town trips! :))

All of the weddings are from Gabriel's side–a relative, a college friend, and a colleague. Each of them unique in their aesthetics, execution, even audience. Without fail, I catch myself wondering how my own wedding will look like, and feel like.

It's true, the way some people dismiss a person's musings of "I'm not going to get married" to "You just haven't found the right person yet." While I disagree with how, well, dismissive, of a person's own self-analysis this can be, I also find it true that you can't really predict everything that is going to happen in your life. Somewhere, somehow, something will change and steer you to a direction you never thought you'd choose.

As a kid, I marveled at wedding dresses. How pretty they make the wearer seem. I wondered what it would be like if I were in those bridal shoes. I even tried drawing some designs of what I wanted mine to look like. Everything seemed to be made of lace and light and love.

As I grew older, I realized I didn't care much for weddings, that I couldn't care less either if I get married. In fact, I didn't think I would. But now, weddings and marriage are just some of those things in my future that I feel are certain, definite. More than the ceremony, it's the promise of a life together that looms largely in the distance. And yet, it's become something that just seemed unconditionally natural to think about, to want, to plan for.

There are still a number of weddings we have to attend to before our time comes. A handful more of chances to pick up useful tricks and pointers. :)) Until then, I will always be filled with wonder at how such moments come together to celebrate the union of two people who have chosen each other to spend the rest of their lives with. 

No comments :