04 March 2015

Thanks for stopping by, Sarah and Phil.

"Every great story has a beginning, middle, and ending –
not necessarily in that order.
We are all great stories, but not all written as chapter books.
I know that there are moments not meant to be bound,
that we scribble too much in the margins to read our own page numbers." 


— Phil Kaye, Beginning, Middle and End

March began with a shoot for our family portrait, and heading straight to Makati (with Gabriel accompanying me :p) to line up for what could possibly the most stirring experience of my year. Spoken word poets Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye of Project V.O.I.C.E. came to Manila to hold performance nights and a workshop. Needless to say, I was thrilled and excited the moment the announcement came, and I had to fight through the huge demand for tickets to ensure I would not miss this rare chance.

It was some two years ago that I stumbled upon spoken word poetry, and Sarah and Phil. Since then, I have watched their videos countless times and marveled at the sheer beauty of their words, or how they encourage vulnerability and openness to the world, or how they find meanings in the simplest–but most profound–moments in their lives.


That Sunday night, I was among the 300 or so eager fans who waited hours in line to witness their performance. I even had an almost-encounter with them when, exactly as I went out of the restroom, they entered the venue through the back door. (What is it with me and restroom fangirl moments? Haha!)

The anticipation in the venue was palpable minutes before the show started. And when the two entered the stage, the cheers were deafening. It was absolutely a surreal experience to see them perform the pieces I have only watched, and read, on a screen.


And because they were in the Philippines, Phil and Sarah got a taste of the loud and rowdy ardent Pinoy audience. The loud "No!" answer to Sarah's "Are you in love?" question, Phil's ridiculous beluga whale joke, Sarah's uncontrolled giggling at the crowd's equally uncontrollable cheers, and Phil's "No, shit" response to a guy screaming "I love you!" at him–all of it and more–absolutely priceless. 

It felt like time flew by so fast, it was over before I knew what an extraordinary night I was having. When it was time to line up to purchase merchandise and a quick meet and greet, I wasn't able to do anything other than murmur "thanks for coming" and "great show." I don't even know if they heard me. At least I had the presence of mind to shake their hands. Haha. (Btw, both Phil and Sarah are just as gorgeous and beautiful and sweet in person. ♥)


That night, I also found new(-ish) friends. Kindred souls who also found, and continue to find, inspiration in Sarah's and Phil's works. It was an hour of basking in the wonder of poetry and the humanity that reside in all of us.

Thank you for the words, Phil and Sarah. Thank you for stopping by.