16 March 2015

Sweet nostalgia


Aside from scraping my knees running up and down our neighborhood or playing house with tiny tea sets, squashed leaves and pebbles, my childhood afternoons consisted of trying to score some barya to buy sweets from nearby sari-sari stores. As a kid, I always looked forward to going home and spending the remaining of my baon for the day to buy 50-cent candies and one-peso snacks.

The chocolatey, milky, and fruity flavors of childhood are brought back to life with the cakes at The Baker's Table. In our Maginhawa date last Friday, Gabriel and I decided to try them for dessert, and from the get-go we agreed that will be back to try the other equally wonderful-looking creations based on our favorite childhood treats. 

Gabriel, the biggest caramel lover I have known, had the Butterball Cake while I had the Haw Haw Cake. They tasted just like the candies we had grown up with–the candies were even served with the cakes! I was expecting them to be cloyingly sweet and, given the big slice, I was wary I wouldn't be able to finish mine. How nice was it to be proved wrong when it comes to these cakes! My Haw Haw Cake had the perfect mix of milky, cheesy goodness and sweet but light vanilla chiffon fluffiness.

We are definitely going back to try the other cakes and go down the memory lane of Flat Tops and Choco Mallows and Milo and Viva Candies and Mik-Mik and Potchi! I for one can't wait for the new cakes on the works. Sweet Corn Cake? Why not! :D

I think this is the one time when the hashtag #happykid would be appropriate. :))