01 January 2015

2014: Work

If I could summarize my experience and learnings in 2014 in one word, it would be "work." Both the noun and the imperative to take action. 

As trite as it may sound, I have seen for myself how sweet the fruit of conscientious work is, how freeing it is to break free from the mold, how rewarding the realization that while you can't be where you want to be just yet, the seemingly insignificant progresses--development of mutual respect among colleagues, amicable interpersonal relationships, positive feedbacks every now and then--can, and will, motivate you to continue working and improving on what you do and could do more.

I know I may tend to be a person of extremes, intensely caring about something one moment and then being completely apathetic the next. Because of this, I sometimes have trouble convincing myself to start on something. Instead, I would want to wait for the "perfect moment." And though I know that this is a truly detrimental mindset, I always used to give myself excuses to not do.

In 2014, however, perhaps a little unknowingly, I lessened this bad habit and found myself thinking "Why not? Why wait?" more and more. I guess I could say that in the past year, I asserted myself little by little. I had a slow start, always had, to be sure. The beginning of the year was a little rough. But once I got warmed up, so to speak, I know I can charge head-on.

Because there is not much to be gained in staying idle. And through exerting the best you can in doing what is reasonably asked of you, whether in personal or professional setting, there is bound to be a feeling of fulfilment at the end of the day. I know, I know. Have I really only learned this at 24? Definitely not, but I guess I only saw myself in distinct situations that call for this kind of mindset this year.

Last year, I told myself to be brave to test the waters. There still are times when I would want to stay on the shore, but I am proud to say that a bigger part of me started to set sail.

And in so little time, I have gained so much just because I dared, because I persevered, because I stepped up: my family's unceasing love, support and pride; a hard-earned promotion at work; deeper appreciation from, and shared victories with, the people I work with; stronger friendships that withstood and continue to withstand time and distance apart; a budding relationship that is unhindered and destined for growth, with a person who dared and persevered just as much.

As 2014 closes, I feel fortunate because I am starting 2015 with so much positivity and inspiration. However, I have no choice but to challenge myself a little harder.

I know I deserve more because I can do more. Let's go, 2015.