16 August 2013

Nine years

god save us every one /  will we burn inside the fires of a thousand suns?

More than once did I look at the ceiling of the Mall of Asia Arena that Tuesday night, wondering if it can handle the almost-a-decade-worth of screaming from the thousands of Linkin Park fans gathered that moment, wondering if the rafters will shake every time Mike Shinoda and Chester Bennington told the frenzied crowd to roar and make some noise

Because when they did, we obeyed, and more. (now what the hell are you waiting for?)

The whole band, Brad, Phoenix, Joe, Rob (fucking Bourdon and his killer drums), Mike and Chester, were as every bit of amazing performers as they have always been in my eyes. The way they sustained that energy for almost two hours was practically superhuman. I almost got dismayed because, wow, everything sounded record-perfect (if not better), and can't there be a little flaw just so I could prove to myself that they're humans? Because wow, that was just... motherfuckingawesome. 

When they entered the stage to being with A Place for My Head, I could already feel a sting in my eyes, because I was that happy and excited to see them perform live. I thought I was going to cry, but there was so much buzz in my body and all I wanted right then and there was scream myself raw and make Linkin Park hear that their songs have been such huge part of my life, that they are such fucking geniuses with rhythm and words, that the chaos and pent-up emotions they have translated into poetry and sound were such a force that have pulled me in right from the start. 

From some of the concerts I've watched of them online, I gathered that LP is a no nonsense band, always straight up to giving electrifying performances non-stop. I was thinking, gods, I wish that the famously loud Philippine crowd will make a mark tonight, make the band see how fervent the Filipinos have been waiting for return since they first came here in 2004. I was waiting and waiting, and I was pleased that in the middle of the concert when probably the majority of the crowd had their ears ringing, Mike called us "a beautiful crowd" and, near the end, heeded the message of the fanproject posters and said, "Promise we'll come back soon."

we say yeah with fists flying up in the air
like we're holding onto something that's invisible there

It's such an unexplainable feeling to be there and have your first ever favorite band perform the songs that you have listened to and sang since you were young. It's equally overwhelming to hear new songs and watch it unfold its effect on the crowd gathered that night. The medley of Leave Out All the Rest, Shadow of the Day, and Iridescent certainly tugged at the heartstrings, as the arena slowly lit up with glow-lights from the people's gadgets, while Chester sang the haunting melody telling us to, "let it go." It was remarkable to be in the middle of such a profound, enchanting moment.

I truly wished I was nearer the stage. (My Stars concert experience disoriented me somehow, making me believe that in the succeeding concerts I will attend, I will always be almost close to touch the stage.) But Linkin Park is Linkin Park, and it's only this band that has made me scream with reckless abandon, not caring about anything in the world, and simply sing the words with the thousands of fellow fans who grew up and changed with the band. 

I remember, some time in college, during that time when I haven't been listening to Linkin Park for a while, I received a text from a high school friend saying, "I'm on a jeepney ride today and a Linkin Park song is playing. I thought of you." That stupid band (ergo amazingawesome) has been that significant a part of my life, despite some people putting them down and belittling my taste. 

As the band closed the adrenaline-pumping performance with Faint, Lying From You, and One Step Closer, I couldn't say if that one night was worth the nine-year wait. 

It is and it isn't.

I don't know. I think I could use another good round of screaming with Mike, Chester, and the rest of LP.

you were that foundation / never gonna be another one, no