26 April 2013

How do you words?



I recently discovered this wondrous side of the Internet that has spoken word poetry videos. It's so novel to me (yeah, I know, I'm so late to the party)  how huge the difference of the impact is when words on the page get translated and interpreted on stage. As Sarah Kay had said, there are really some poetry that cry out to be performed with voice, and the distinct energy of the theater/stage does give so much more life and meaning and perspective to these pieces.

I've always known I'm never cut up for the performing arts, really. I can't say I've really tried giving it my all, but being in front of people takes me at my wits' end. But maybe, just maybe, I could get to crafting pieces as moving and as inspiring as Sarah's, and her partner-in-crime, Phil Kaye's. Or maybe, just enough to make me feel less unsure about myself and the things around me. 

If that didn't blow you away, I don't know what will.

One thing watching these brilliant young minds did is stir some fervent desire in me to just keep writing. Most of the time these days, I feel so unresolved and unmotivated. Even until today, I don't know what it is that I ultimately want to do, whether for a lifelong career or personal craft. I'm just sure that it has something to do with stringing words together. I just had this sudden comforting thought that I could always look up to spoken word poets and be amazed at their sheer passion for the art as well as for provoking thought and discussion. Until then, perhaps I could just keep scribbling away into my notebook, willing the right words to free themselves from my messy head.