18 March 2013

Finding home where UP is

As I go to work every morning for the past two weeks, I suddenly realized how lucky I am to have landed a job where the workplace reminds me so much of the place I have always loved since I set foot in it almost six years ago--UP Diliman. My current workplace is situated inside a camp so everywhere I turn, I see trees in all their perfect green canopy glory. The camp is a blessed relief in the middle of the city, much like what UP was to me during college. The joggers, the scant vehicles, the breeze, the sunlight through the leaves--walking along the lanes feels so much like being back in UP.


I don't know if it's a good thing, but I guess I'm always looking for something "UP" in every new environment I get into to determine whether I will last or not. It's not so much as the highly urban landscape of my previous job that made me quit as my desire to experience something more than what I had been doing there. Tall buildings, the people's upscale lifestyle, and limited (and overtly structured) greenery just didn't cut it up for me. Everyday, I felt drained.

My first part-time job, on the other hand, where I lasted more than two years, was very much UP because everybody in the team, was, well, from UP. We were on the same wavelength more or less, and I didn't feel as if I was an outsider--I get the jokes, my opinions felt worth sharing, and being burgis was a no-no. Haha. When it's the cheerdance competition, we watch together with bated breath rooting for the same kickass team. Often times, after our shift at midnight, we'd go straight ahead to Maginhawa St. to eat and it's still UP.

No, I probably haven't made the most out of my years of undergraduate experience, but UP still made its mark in my psyche and I always end up on the look out for it everywhere I go.

---
Sa'yo,  UP Manila freshie, paumanhin. Paumanhin at hindi naging sapat ang aming tinig. Paumanhin at hindi mo naranasan ang maraming bagay bilang isang Iska. Paumanhin.

No comments :