28 September 2012

Sticking to Stargirl


It's so easy to say that being different from the rest of the crowd is liberating and a cause for exultation. That we must always embrace our uniqueness. That being normal is simply too boring.

Basically and as of now, I have no problem being "weird" and having extremely different tastes and habits from most of the people my age I know. And so one friend's reflections on being "tired" of being singled out her entire life because of her "weirdness" kind of unnerved me. Easily one of the biggest non-conformists I know, she is a kindred spirit when it comes to disdaining mainstream pop crap, social stereotypes, and all that jazz. And yet that day, she admitted that she wished she was more "normal."

I think it's about this innate desire to be with people. Humans are conditioned to be social animals. Despite preferring solitude over personal social interaction, I do recognize that being with people is a need. And I think, whether we are deemed "normal" or not by the society, we do wish we could just fit in, somewhat somehow.

But then, over my bowl of teriyaki, her plate of spaghetti and roast chicken, and the sound of a furious rainfall, I said I don't think it's wise to wish to be someone you're not. Nor will it be any better to change just to fit some people's expectations. So what if someone doesn't "get" you? There are people who would and who already like you as you are--complete with all your quirks and varying levels of sanity.

Wasn't it Leo's loss that Stargirl was Stargirl and not Susan?

3 comments :

Bekiderp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bekiderp said...

Problem is, people usually label something weird as bad, wrong, or just plain evil. Oh, we are righteous. And somehow, the meaning of 'normal' is confusing. Or I'd rather say, subjective. Perhaps, it's just a matter of perspective or a state of mind.

People are not Powerpuff Girls. Sure, there might be sugar and spices but not everything's nice. (; ̄Д ̄)

//Hangga't yung mga taong importante sa iyo at binibigyan ka ng importansya ay naiintindihan ka, o kahit hindi pa nga eh, pero tanggap ka, hindi ba sapat na un?//

There is a difference between being someone you're not and trying to become your ideal self.

As we are now, we can't do something about that.
It's also about time I say this again, screw societal norms. ♥(ノ´∀`)

I'm in a major slump. HAHAHAHA.
To whoever that is, kampaaaaaaai~ (´ε` )♡

Riza said...

Haha. By normal I guess I meant status quo--what everybody else wants, looks like, does, thinks, acts upon. Yeah! All hail imperfection! ♥