24 December 2011

My first Oblation Run

16 December 2012. If not for the coverage assignment for my photojournalism class, I wouldn't have exerted effort to attend the Oblation Run.

An annual tradition of some of the UP chapters of the Alpha Phi Omega Fraternity, the Oblation Run is a form of protest by the members on contemporary issues in the country. Taking from the Oblation, the University's symbol of a naked man with arms outstretched and selflessly giving himself up for the nation, the members run through the halls of Palma Hall and give out roses to female spectators while displaying their banners and placards. This year, the members called on the public to help preserve the rivers of the country.







It was an incredible experience for me--the adrenaline rush I had as I pushed my way through a hysteric crowd (for reasons I could not fathom, really), running to and fro to get to the position where the action was, and endlessly clicking the shutter button in the hopes of catching a good shot.

It was the first time I ever felt like I was a photographer covering an event.

No comments :