18 April 2016

All in a day's work

Lineage
I did not expect that the task I begrudgingly took over would end up being an eye-opener. Because no one in the office would agree to touring two college classes in the Department, it fell on me to do so. The students, from UP Diliman, were just as eager to know more about the Department just as much as I was anxious about them being critical of us.

Political leanings aside, I was pleasantly surprised how receptive they were, how excited and curious about the institution. And I realized that looking from another (their) non-jaded, non-cynical perspective, we aren't really doing so bad. Sure, the Department isn't perfect. But it has done so many things that have an impact on people. Although much can be lost in the technicalities and jargon, the institution, at its core, strives to provide the country with the service and protection that the nation deserves.

Much to my surprise, I truly enjoyed answering their questions, listening to the concerns they have and the plans they intend to make.  Maybe the mystique that comes from such a specialized area of government contributed to the kids' eagerness. Maybe they haven't seen much of reality just yet. Maybe the other government offices they had seen were disappointing on surface level. (Haha.) But to know that they are dreaming, so to speak, to work for and be a part of this institution, it was really eye-opening. Here I am, already where they wanted to be. In their eyes, I have already achieved something. In their eyes, I am someone to look up to. ("Work goals, Ate.")

Needless to say, it was a fruitful experience for both ends.