27 October 2013

Oh, and Ryro's back

After years, Ryan Ross is finally back to making music. And don't he know people have been waiting for him! I was beside myself when Jon Walker posted something about it. (Jon, you are the best.) Ryan Ross is back. Ryan. Ross. Is. Back.



An excerpt of a review from EAR MILK:

Following the opening instrumental is “Where I Belong (Demo)”, with a Beatles-esque feel like the last Young Veins record. Unlike his work with The Young Veins, this has been cross-pollinated with the aforementioned French house style. Ross’ vocals have an early-McCartney feel to them, and the multi-layered live electric guitars give a richness to the track that often gets lost in modern electronic music. The real standout here isn’t just the musical styling. Lyrically, Ross presents yet another reason why he’s penned three Billboard #1 singles: this is a truly emotionally stirring song. 
Upon closer inspection, the lyrics are axiomatic of the current state of his career - painting a story of self reflection, doubt, and sadness. Despite the sing-a-long nature of the lyrics, it’s clear why Ross decided to lead his career comeback with this song: these are the honest admissions of a man searching for answers, looking back at his transgressions, and admitting he was wrong.

(Upon playing it so many times, I began asking myself in turn, where do I belong, then?)

Ah. My favorite songsmith back to stirring my emotions once more. I'm not complaining.