13 November 2012

Les Misérables - International Trailer


When I finally got to see the full international trailer for Les Misérables, I watched the two-and-a-half video with bated breath, not quite understanding what's going on. As is wont to happen when I'm overcome with emotions, I squealed and ajklsdfhaasdjkldg;1!asfbaergsd;' my way through my microblogging entries.

I think what happened was my brain was slow on the uptake in comprehending the massiveness of scope and sheer visual magnitude of the film. The gorgeous sets, the resounding orchestra, the poignant lyrics of the songs, the costumes--everything was grandiose as befit the musical phenomenon inspired by Victor Hugo's chef d'oeuvre.

However, I think I was more overwhelmed with the beauty of the dynamic between Valjean and Cosette shown in the trailer. It was the central point of the book for me, and I find it quite lacking in the musical. By lacking I mean it was there but not just magnified and given focus (and quite understandable because of the many story lines that need to be simplified). When Valjean (Hugh Jackman) called Cosette (Isabelle Allen) and addressed her as Mademoiselle, I actually teared up. Here is an ex-convict who had almost given up from the hateful world, showing affection to a girl who has equally been devoid of receiving care and love. And when they found each other, it was so glorious.

Of course, the trailer also has many other amazing factors. The overture truly exudes in me feelings of anticipation and wonder. Boublil and Schönberg's music is really awe-inspiring. We also finally got to see the Thénardiers! (Can I just say that HBC is so goddamn sassy in that two seconds during "Master of the House"?) The barricades were enormous and seeing it in whole really gave goose prickles, not to mention the galleys and the chain gang. It also helps (or maybe it does not) my fangirl heart to see the West End Les Miserables actors and actresses I have come to love and adore. (Oh, Samantha! Allistair! Hadley! Killian! Jamie! And I really hoped to see Colm Wilkinson here. But I guess that could wait. Hihi.)

But really, I simply just can't put into words how this movie is going to be so beautiful and heartbreaking. As I might have said before, excitement is an understatement for the feelings I have regarding this film.