17 August 2012

My Eiga Sai '12


As of today, I was able to watch three out of the ten films featured in this year's Eiga Sai, the Japanese Film Festival in commemoration of Philippines-Japan Friendship month, but I plan to watch more in the coming days. I was first introduced to this annual event three or four years ago at the UP Film Institute, and being a self-proclaimed Japanophile, I made a point to watch as many as I could every year.

One particular film in this year's line-up made it definite that I attend the film fest. It was the 2011 film In His Chart, and stars Sakurai Sho and Miyazaki Aoi, directed by Fukagawa Yoshihiro. Being a huge Sakurai Sho stan fan, I have been meaning to obtain a copy of this movie since the start of the year. And with amazing timeliness, I got to watch it in the big screen, no less. My friends and I did not even wait for the film fest to arrive at the UPFI this August, we instead trooped to Shang Cineplex last July 11 to make sure we would be able to watch it at least once.

In His Chart follows the story of the young doctor Ichito and the choices he has to make on his way to defining the purpose of his career in medicine. With his supportive photographer wife, Haruna (Miyazaki Aoi), Ichito learns valuable lessons in life from his friends, his colleagues in the hospital, his patients, his wife, and even from the wisdom of Soseki Natsume. Soseki's writings figure in the film, as well as the breathtaking vistas of mountains, woods, and traditional Japanese dwellings.

Sho and Aoi would have been reason enough to watch and like this film, but In His Chart proved to be a beautifully crafted story. Sho as the awkward but compassionate doctor was such a hit among the audience, and Ichito's amusing communication dilemmas even drew the occasional laughter from the viewers.  Multi-layered and brilliantly acted, In His Chart is a touching tale of selflessness and redefinition of the social norms people today have to contend with. Set in a tranquil and quiet atmosphere, it was truly a visual treat for me. AND MY SETSUME-SAN AND VERY NADEGATA IS NOW A BRILLIANT CURLY-HAIRED DOCTOR WHO HAS MIYAZAKI AOI FOR HIS WIFE. THIS FILM MAKES ME SO HAPPY.

Yesterday, the second day of the film fest at the UPFI, my friends and I watched Takashi Miike's Ninja Kids. Featuring young kids training in the Ninja Academy, the film was slapstick comedy in its cutest, led by the adorable Rantaro (Kato Seishiro), and his friends and fellow first graders Shinbei (Kimura Futa) and Kirimaru (Hayahi Roi). With striking and bright costumes, make-up and set, as well  as over-the-top and quirky characters, Ninja Kids is easily enjoyable and hilarious. It does not take itself seriously, and is unabashed in recognizing the sillyness of the premise of the conflicts and their subsequent resolutions.

The second film on that day (and my third) was Tomorrow's Joe, featuring Yamashita Tomohisa/Yamapi as Yabuki Joe, the plebeian waif who found his calling in the world of boxing, guided by the former boxer Tange Danpei (Kagawa Teruyuki). In the  ring he faced Rikiishi Toru (Iseya Yusuke), and the two would end up each other's ultimate rivals. The film, directed by Sori Fumihiko, utilized various camera speeds and odd angles to paint the grit and the raw energy possessed by and surrounding the two fighters. I find it amusing that Yamapi got to be as unglamourous as he did in this film, the popular idol that he is. Both the performances of Yamapi and Iseya, as well as Kagawa as the supportive trainer Tange-sensei, were remarkable as characters wrought in a story that not only deals with the rivalry of two equally able men but also of pressing issues of the socety they were living in.

The Japan Foundation of Manila made it possible to showcase the above quality films, some even featuring popular (and mainstream) actors. In the years I've attended the event, I noticed the growing interest for Japanese films (and Asian films, in general). Sure, enthusiasts can obtain these copies over the Internet, but there really is nothing like watching on the big screen surrounded with other fellow spectators, being enveloped by the sounds and images from the film, and surrendering the senses to the story being told.

I am hopeful that I could watch more during the remaining days of the festival. I was not able to re-watch In His Chart because my companions weren't as eager as I was to repeat the film we've already seen. But I guess seeing my husband Sho on the big screen once should suffice. I am excited for the remaining films I've yet to see, and for next year's, too.

No comments :