08 February 2012

Dju vui vay~

Miss Saigon, in all its forms and interpretations, will always hold a dear place in my heart.

Earlier today, my friend and I went to watch UST Mediartrix's presentation of this special musical, upon the invitation of another friend who was one of the lead choreographers. Saving the date almost a month ahead, I was determined not to miss seeing it done by a legitimate theater/performance group.

I am proud that, almost six hears since we had it in our junior year in high school,  I still know the words to almost all the songs. This time, I was also impressed by the performances of the actors of this adaptation--from the bargirls of Dreamland to the jaded American troop soldiers, to the over-the-top but sly Engineer. The amazing actress playing Kim possesses a voice that reminded me so much of Lea's--it's almost the same timbre, the same quality. She was so effective, and I can't help but applaud at her performance of the heart-wrenching song "I Still Believe" vis-a-vis the equally-amazing Ellen. The actor playing Thuy gave such an... electric, goosebumps-worthy performance as the malevolent cousin-lover of Kim.

Inside the Albertus Magnus Auditorium, I was feeling like a little kid giddy in my anticipation and excitement. I don't care if this musical is ethno-centric, cliché-ish, or has a lot of feminist issues. If I hear the familiar sound of the army chopper descending on the American Embassy in Vietnam sometime in the 1970's, followed by the quiet tinkling sound ascending to a heart-racing boom from the orchestra, I am bound to sing along: The Heat is On.

No comments :