09 June 2011

Finally, a book and the sound of the rain

School will start next week and I finally realized that I have to make the most of the remaining days of my (non-existent) vacation. After all the trouble and work from my internship stint, I finally get to sleep late and bond with my pillows and bed as much as I want to.

I seriously miss the me who would rather choose to read a book until the wee hours of the night rather than go online and spend countless hours doing pointless things. I think the last book I read and was able to finish was "The Phantom of the Opera" which I re-read last January. Looking at the classic titles I bought last December, I finally grabbed "Little Women" and began reading the tale of Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy.

I read the book without any notion of Louisa May Alcott's writing style, or what the story is all about. I just knew it's a beloved classic so I didn't expect it to be such an easy read. Half of me was wary of how stereotypical the writer's portrayal of women was--domestic and fragile at times. Half of me, on the other hand, was elated at how good-natured the characters were. I think the charm of "Little Women" lies in its notion of everything being dainty and pastoral, the girls being cultured and independent... and a good dose of Teddy Laurence along the way. Haha.

It's been so long since I huddled up in bed and read a book until 4 in the morning listening to the gently pattering rain. It was genuine bliss.

I hope that with the coming (final and probably stressful) academic year, I would still get to read more books than I was able to in 2010.